Who supplies utilities?

You will need to contact the utility suppliers (these are companies that provide utilities such as gas, electricity and water to the property) to inform them of your new tenancy, and give them the meter readings that you’ve taken when you first got your keys. We advise you contact the utility suppliers straight away.

We won’t know who supplies the utilities at the property because tenants frequently change suppliers, so please don’t ask us, as we won’t be able to help you. You are also within your rights as a tenant to change the utility suppliers. You can use comparison websites or contact suppliers directly. Often it’s easier to just use whose supplying the property at the moment but if you want to change you are allowed to do so.

In order to contact the utility suppliers, you’ll need to know who they are. It’s easy to check who supplies the utilities at your property.

If your rent is inclusive of bills, you’ll only need to contact the utility provider if they supply a utility that isn’t included in your rent. Your AST should state what bills are inclusive and if it doesn’t, contact the office.

We suggest you do the following:

  • See if there are any letters addressed to “the occupier” or the “new occupier” When a previous occupier (such as an old tenant) closes their utility accounts, letters addressed to new occupiers will be sent to the property designed for the new tenants to pick up. These letters will be from a utility supplier asking for your details.
  • If there are no letters present, you can call 0870 608 1524 for gas and 0800 668 877 for electricity to find out who the suppliers are.
  • As explained you can change suppliers, but you’ll need to speak to the current supplier anyway to register your meter readings and pay the first part of your bill before you change to a new supplier.
  • For water and sewerage, you’ll need to contact Northumbrian Water on 0345 733 5566
  • For internet, you can choose any supplier. Most of our properties already have BT lines in them, if not, you’ll need to either speak to Virgin Media who provide cable or have a line installed. You’ll need to ask our permission to do this as any alterations made to the property can only be done so with consent from us acting on behalf of your landlord. If your rent is inclusive of internet, connection information will be in this pack (contact the office if you don’t have the details you need).
  • You must not have your TV aerial disconnected when internet is being installed.
  • We will inform the council to save you the time and hassle, whether you’re a student or a professional, with your details. It’s important to note that even though we contact the council you are still responsible for the council being aware of your tenancy. We suggest you contact them anyway and if you don’t receive a bill or a zero charge bill, that you contact them.
  • You are responsible for the TV licence at your property. You’ll need to contact TV Licensing to arrange one. You can move a licence from another property and you can take your licence with you when you leave. You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as its being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder. For the costs of the licence, please visit www.tvlicensing.co.uk

Share this post

Related posts

What to do before moving into a student house | le... What do you need to know before moving into your new property? So you've found your perfect new home? The hard part is done it's time to pack your ba...